Our Final Threshold

by Beth A Richardson on April 30, 2017 · 41 comments

coventry-bap

| From the Editor: Today marks the end of the Alive Now daily reflections. We have loved serving you! Consider subscribing to Daily Reflections from Upper Room Books or Sight Psalms. |

Sunday, April 30. 3rd Sunday of Easter. As we cross this final threshold of prayer together, reflect on what you might take from Alive Now into a new season of prayer and growth. May you be blessed by every door you open.

Share your final thoughts.

Words from the Word: You have been born anew, not of perishable but of imperishable seed, through the living and enduring word of God.
– 1 Peter 1:23, NRSV

Lectionary Texts:

Audio Lectio: Pray the scripture using audio lectio from Luke 24:13-35

Spiritual Tools: Engage in this weeks spiritual practice, Becoming a Compassionate Neighbor to Myself.

Art Credit: Coventry Cathedral – Baptistery, from Art in the Christian Tradition, a project of the Vanderbilt Divinity Library, Nashville, TN. http://diglib.library.vanderbilt.edu/act-imagelink.pl?RC=54899 [retrieved March 22, 2017]. Original source: http://www.flickr.com/photos/stevecadman/2652744641/.

Barb April 30, 2017 at 6:09 am

Thank you for all the inspiration, peace, growth, and reflection. I will miss our daily time together. Grace and peace to you.

Beth A Richardson May 1, 2017 at 9:32 am

We also will miss this daily time. Blessings on your journey, Barb.

Chris April 30, 2017 at 6:52 am

Beth, thank you for the time that you have taken to invest in my journey through the lectionary readings and often thought provoking questions. I too will miss the daily reflections.

May you continue to live in the peace that our Savior so generously provides.

Courtney April 30, 2017 at 8:26 am

Amen & ditto, Chris!

Beth A Richardson May 1, 2017 at 9:29 am

Blessings to you, Courtney!

Beth A Richardson May 1, 2017 at 9:31 am

Thank you, Chris.

Jane April 30, 2017 at 7:21 am

Beth, I am praying for your pathway and the bright future we all have each morning. it is a landmark change! But, by God’s infinite grace, we will journey on. Please keep us informed of your writings and your life. Gratefully, Jane

Beth A Richardson May 1, 2017 at 9:31 am

Thank you, Jane. I have enjoyed this journey and have felt so honored to be a part of Alive Now for so many years. I don’t know if you have found my blog, but I’ll continue to write there: http://www.betharichardson.com.

Denise April 30, 2017 at 7:41 am

Alive Now and your writings have inspired, deepened, and sustained my journey through all seasons of life. My journey simply would not have been as rich. Thank you and I look forward to how God will continue to show up in each and every day for all of us. Peace and joy and much gratitude to you.

Beth A Richardson May 1, 2017 at 9:30 am

Thank you, Denise.

Courtney April 30, 2017 at 8:23 am

Since discovering Alive Now in the late 70s with The Story of Barrington Bunny, I have loved , been inspired by, and been challenged by Alive Now. Thank You. You have open the window of knowing & worshiping God in creative ways and with joy!

Courtney April 30, 2017 at 8:24 am

Opened!

Beth A Richardson May 1, 2017 at 9:29 am

Sweet — Barrington Bunny. So grateful!

Sally Hunter April 30, 2017 at 8:43 am

Thank you so much for the wonderful inspiration you have provided each morning. I will miss is. May your future be bright and your writings continue in another venue.

Blessings. Sally

Beth A Richardson May 1, 2017 at 9:29 am

Sally, thank you so much for traveling with us through the years. Much love and many blessings,

Janice West April 30, 2017 at 8:49 am

Beth, I believe I first met you at a FUMWMOA IN 1981 at the convocation. And I was happy when you became the editor of Alive Now. I’ve looked forward to reading the Daily Reflections every morning since then. I will miss holding the magazine and my Bible as I pray daily. Thank you for sharing your insights of God’s love in our lives, too. Keep us posted with your travels so that we can travel with you.

Beth A Richardson May 1, 2017 at 9:28 am

Oh, my! Janice, I loved that 1981 convocation. Thank you for letting me know when we first met. It has been such a pleasure to get to work with Alive Now through the years. If you have not already found my blog, it’s at http://www.betharichardson.com. I’ll continue posting my writings there.

Many blessings,

Raz April 30, 2017 at 12:46 pm

Beth,
This door may be closing but the world awaits. I have loved Alive Now! for so many years and have found such inspiration in each issue. I thank you and those who have been putting the magazine and the webpage together over the years.
I was richly blest by a workshop that you shared on prayer in St Louis for the UMW. What a treat! You were a fill in and you were amazing!
You have been blest to be a blessing!
Raz

Beth A Richardson May 1, 2017 at 9:26 am

Raz,

Thank you for posting. I’m so pleased to know when we met. It’s been an honor to journey together.

Dorothy Johnson April 30, 2017 at 1:52 pm

Dear Beth, I am so grateful for Alive Now on two levels: first, the way it helped me start my days and second, for the opportunity to occasionally contribute something to its pages. Thank you for overseeing the inspiring little publication and for allowing me to be part of it. Whatever the Lord has in store for you next, I am sure you will be blessed and a blessing to those you encounter. I look forward to seeing what He will do.

Beth A Richardson May 1, 2017 at 9:25 am

Dorothy,

It’s been such a pleasure to work with you. I hope we continue bumping into each other. Please keep writing!

Steve Novy April 30, 2017 at 4:31 pm

Thank you for the gift of your presence at Alive Now and for helping your readers like me become more aware and attentive to our connectedness with God and each other. Although I don’t believe I’ve answered very many of your meditative questions online, know that you have inspired and uplifted this old soul. For your creative crafting of words and the offering of your time, bless you, Beth! Steve Novy

Beth A Richardson May 1, 2017 at 9:24 am

Steve,

Thank you for traveling with us. And for your kind words.

Blessings for the journey,

Laura Wunder April 30, 2017 at 5:16 pm

I am sad beyoNhd mbelief Thank you for being a friend.

Beth A Richardson May 1, 2017 at 9:23 am

Blessings to you.

Joyce Huber April 30, 2017 at 8:46 pm

Thank you so much for all these years of wonderful spiritual blessings. Beth, l have so much enjoyed your writing. Blessings to you.

Beth A Richardson May 1, 2017 at 9:23 am

Thank you, Joyce. We are going to miss you and we treasure the journey together.

Jamie Hanna Williams May 1, 2017 at 12:06 am

Dear Beth, I am so grateful to have had you and Alive Now for a guide and support these many years. I can’t say enough about the creativity, variety, depth and excellence of this publication. The two new offerings are sad step-sisters. I hope someday soon The Upper Room will create a worthy new offering of resources for spiritual formation that comes close to what we have all enjoyed through Alive Now. Thank you, Beth and many blessings on the next stage in your journey. Jamie

Beth A Richardson May 1, 2017 at 9:22 am

Jamie,

Thank you for your words. We will miss this so very, very much. You remain in our hearts.

Deborah Maria May 1, 2017 at 12:17 am

Final Threshold. I knew it was coming. I knew it would be today. Yet when I saw the unopened email with that subject line, my eyeballs got sweaty. This, too? – after the week we’ve had?!

Beth, letting go of this child of yours – Alive Now! (I always like the exclamation point) – must be harder on you than on any of us readers. May UR Ministries and GBOD offer you a niche that lets your light continue to shine.

Alive Now as a tool for spiritual development has been timely and relevant to my daily living. I treasure the long row of them on my bookshelf. The art has been a teaching tool, too. This week’s on-line art “Coventry Cathedral – Baptistery” glows with hopeful symbolism for me.

I’m wordy. Simply put, thank you, Beth and crew and predecessors!

Beth A Richardson May 1, 2017 at 9:21 am

Thank you, Deborah. It’s been an honor to journey with you. We will miss this, for sure!

Love and blessings,

Linda Gaines May 1, 2017 at 10:53 am

I will miss this magazine and the poetry and photos.

Beth A Richardson May 4, 2017 at 1:43 pm

Thank you, Linda, for traveling with us through the years.

Julie Price May 1, 2017 at 6:46 pm

Thank you. I’ve loved this magazine over the years. Had them delivered in hard copy in the 80’s. It’s been a wonderful resource for worship ideas and for private reflection. Love the creativity and intent of every mag.

Beth A Richardson May 4, 2017 at 1:44 pm

Thanks, Julie. We’ll miss you!!!

Gretchen May 1, 2017 at 8:53 pm

I am very grateful for the years of spiritual guidance and encouragement from ‘Alive Now’. Thank you, Rev. Richardson and Gina Manskar, for nurturing this community of writers and readers.

Beth A Richardson May 4, 2017 at 1:44 pm

Thank you, Gretchen. You are a treasure.

Poteete-Marshall Steve May 2, 2017 at 10:56 pm

I will miss the Alive Now postings I have woven in the practice of listening to the readings for sermon preparation . I appreciate all the efforts that made this possible thank you

Beth A Richardson May 4, 2017 at 1:44 pm

Thank you, Steve. Many blessings on your ministry.

Roberta May 2, 2017 at 11:37 pm

Thank you for the blessings that these readings have brought to me. May it come back to you tenfold. Love and peace- roberta

Beth A Richardson May 4, 2017 at 1:45 pm

Thanks, Roberta. God’s peace to you.

Comments on this entry are closed.