Alive Now Crosses a Threshold

by Beth A Richardson on November 1, 2016 · 161 comments

| Take Our Survey | Sign Up for Email Newsletter |

I first “met” Alive Now when I was in divinity school seeking a final unit of field education to complete my course requirements. I had planned to do a summer of intensive chaplaincy training but was so overwhelmed by the stories I’d heard about the program’s challenges and the application process that I was looking for an alternative. A friend at church said to me, “You’re a good writer. You should see if Mary Ruth Coffman would give you an internship over at The Upper Room.”
– Beth A. Richardson, Editor

| Watch the video |

Alive Now is undergoing changes. Our last issue of the publication will be the March/April 2017 issue. We want to keep in touch. Here are three requests from us.

1. Please take our survey to help us shape the next resource for you.
  2. Please sign up for our email newsletter so we can let you know about new resources.
  3. Tell us how we met or how you use Alive Now. Share your stories in the comments area below.

Beth A Richardson November 3, 2016 at 10:42 am

I first met Alive Now in divinity school — as I told in the video above. I’d love to know about how you met Alive Now and how you’ve used it over the years! Looking forward to reading your comments.

Jean Northrup November 4, 2016 at 5:11 pm

As one of those who loves to read printed books, magazines, etc. and being from the “old” school, I am sorry to hear of the passing/death of Alive Now. I imagine using the web will be the future,and for younger people, it is the now of information. However, I do love the smell of print on paper and always will.

Beth Richardson November 17, 2016 at 7:39 am

Jean — I’m with you on loving print. Thank you for taking the time to comment.

Virginia January 10, 2017 at 11:25 am

I have been reading and collecting this magazine since the late 1970s. I have nearly every issue and go back to them often to re-read different topics. I have tabs in many of them. I have used them for devotionals for small groups, ideas for youth group topics and various other needs in addition to my own spiritual growth. I am sad to see Alive Now pass on. Thank you for your dedication to this great resource! It will be missed by many.

Beth A Richardson January 13, 2017 at 8:39 am

Many blessings and great thanks,

Gerri Ross November 5, 2016 at 8:40 am

This seems to be a big mistake. Now is not the time to do this…we senior citizens depend on the availability of print. In Touch (Charles Stanley) expanded their printed publications.

Beth Richardson November 17, 2016 at 7:40 am

Hi, Gerri,

Thank you very much for taking the time to comment. I hope you have also taken the survey to let us know your thoughts. The link is above.

Sarah Stewart November 7, 2016 at 8:39 am

I first came across Alive Now when I was looking for an Advent devotion to offer to my UMW circle. I found Beth Richardson’s article about Light from the Nov/Dec 2012 publication ND used it with other material to share thestory of the gift of the light of Christ.
As a lover of physical books and materials I am disappointed that there will not be a print edition. I have grown to love and rely on the stories in Alive Now not only for my own devotions but also to support material that I am teaching or to share with others either as a quick devotional or incorporated into something larger that I am presenting. I do use online resources extensively but the intimacy of holding the journal in my hands adds to my time with God.
I was so excited to receive the current issue on Homelessness because it tied into many of the things I am doing right now.
I know the move is to electronic publishing but I mourn the loss of the smell and touch of physical books that can be read again and again like old friends.

Beth Richardson November 17, 2016 at 7:41 am

Hi, Sarah,

Thank you very much for telling us the story of how we met and how you are using Alive Now. I hope you have also taken the survey to let us know your thoughts. The link is above.

Debbie Lane November 7, 2016 at 9:16 am

My first issue was a subscription gift from my mother, Mary Lees. I have read it ever since, including gifting it to several of my friends. I have also used the issues as resources for Bible studies when I was attending church regularly.

Beth Richardson November 17, 2016 at 7:41 am

Pamela November 7, 2016 at 5:01 pm

I met Alive Now through our Church subscription. Its approach connected with me: life application subjects, lectionary readings each week with insightful questions that don’t take a huge amount of time, awesome visuals, poetry and prose, and spiritual practices. I enjoy the small booklet that is easy to carry with me while traveling or going outside in nature. So much of what I do is on a screen, and it is nice to go ‘offline’. I love Alive Now so much that I designed a weekly sunday school class alternative at our church using it along with a co-facilator! We meet weekly Sunday morning and challenge each other to read those scriptures, do the devotions, and discuss what most touched us, along with our ‘God Moments’. We streamed the online lectio divina and Beth’s videos. I have saved most past issues to make a ‘library’ of devotional theme topics. Perhaps in going digital, you can have a ‘printable’ lectionary devotional too.

Beth Richardson November 17, 2016 at 7:43 am

Wow, Pamela — I love hearing how you have used Alive Now. We will continue the lectio divina based on the lectionary readings — I think they may end up in a different location. I’m so glad you have your library.

Thank you very much for telling us the story of how we met and how you are using Alive Now. I hope you have also taken the survey to let us know your thoughts and have joined the email list. We will keep you up to date on developments. The links are above.

Claire Noland November 11, 2016 at 3:25 pm

I met Alive Now when I saw a call for manuscripts. I submitted a devotional and it was accepted! Thanks!
Now you are a part of my day.

Beth Richardson November 17, 2016 at 7:43 am

Hi, Claire,

I’m so glad we met. Thank you and blessings,

Paula Clapp November 14, 2016 at 7:24 am

Please say it isn’t so!!! I echo the previous comments and add my anguish of the demise of such a beloved part of my spiritual journey. I was just in the process of renewing my subscription for both me and a friend. I, too, have saved back issues, although some have been miss placed or lost. Would it be possible to order past issues?

Beth Richardson November 17, 2016 at 7:44 am

Hi, Paula,

We share your sadness!! We have some copies of back issues, especially the last 5 years. Just send us an email and we can check.

Carol Roberts November 16, 2016 at 9:48 am

As with other comments above, I lament the demise of the printed editions of Alive Now. I especially enjoy the visual qualities of the photography and artwork teamed with poetry, narrative, and reflection. I often use this portable resource as a respite away digital and electronic screens and overload. Having somewhat of a photographic memory, I have kept Alive Now editions over the years and can locate materials by the topics and seasons of the specific editions that I wish to revisit and share.
I also lament the demise of print materials for those who do not have access to electronic distribution means.

Beth Richardson November 17, 2016 at 7:45 am

Carol,

We are lamenting right along with you. So glad you have kept Alive Now editions. Thank you so much for your walking with us. I hope you have also taken the survey to let us know your thoughts and signed up for the email newsletter. The links are above.

Dennis Bailey November 16, 2016 at 10:00 am

My favorite Alive Now Issue appeared in 1997, just before I was to embark on a solo cross-country bicycle trip from Anacortes, WA to Boston, MA, over the course of a three month sabbatical. There was a story in the issue by Margaret Novak, who, along with her husband, Michael, own Chester Supermarket, Chester, Montana. She talked about their journey of faith in the ownership of the Market, how they had to adapt and make changes over the years to keep the business going. I was very impressed by her writing and their journey. I stayed in Chester one night, sleeping in my tent in the town park. I introduced myself to Michael. Margaret was away at a Methodist Conference. When I told him about reading Margaret’s article in Alive Now, he asked, “Is there anything I can do for you?” He told me about a member of the community that I should meet, a doctor. I went to meet the doctor and he, too, asked if there is anything he could do. The following morning the doctor showed up at the park to see if I needed anything before I departed.
I’m glad to see the Chester Supermarket is still in business, still owned by Michael and Margaret.
Thanks for including Margaret’s article in 1997. It gave me reassurance that I was not alone.
Dennis Bailey

Beth Richardson November 17, 2016 at 7:47 am

Hi, Dennis,

What a wonderful story of love!! Thank you for sharing it and for telling us about your bike trip! I hope you have also taken the survey to let us know your thoughts and signed up for the email newsletter. The links are above.

Judy Loveless November 16, 2016 at 11:04 am

Please re-consider…raise the price if necessary. This is the stuff I use for my devotions at UMW meetings. It is so timely and so spiritual. I will miss this publication.

Beth Richardson November 17, 2016 at 7:48 am

Hi, Judy,

We are not able to reconsider the status of Alive Now, but depending on our research, we hope to explore all options of distribution as we envision the next resource for adult spirituality. I hope you have also taken the survey to let us know your thoughts and signed up for the email newsletter. The links are above.

Judy Loveless November 16, 2016 at 11:05 am

I did type a comment but will repeat. Please reconsider cancellation plans. I sue the materials for my UMW meeting devotions. Good thing I save my old copies :-((

Beth A Richardson December 10, 2016 at 7:35 am

Judy,

I am glad you saved the old copies. I will register your comments, but at least at this time, we have not got the resources to reverse the plans to cancel. Thank you so much for your loyalty. We are grieving along with you.

Marcia McLaughlin November 16, 2016 at 11:22 am

I’ve read Alive Now for probably the last 16 years – it’s been part of my meditation time. I can use online resources – what I’m going to miss the most is that I’ve also given a subscription to a woman who is in state prison. She and I are pen pals. Often we talk about what we’ve read in Alive Now. She won’t be able to use a online version. Only print works. She’ll be getting out soon and I hope we can continue our relationship. She’ll be struggling to make ends meet – a computer is I’m sure not something she’ll have easy access to for a while. I wish I could continue sending her this wonderful magazine. So I’m looking for something to send instead. Any suggestions are welcome.

Beth Richardson November 17, 2016 at 7:49 am

Hi, Marcia,

What a wonderful connection to use the magazine with a woman in state prison. I don’t know whether Upper Room Disciplines would be a suitable alternative — or perhaps it is too “dense.”

Margaret Nixon November 16, 2016 at 12:01 pm

Sad news to lose Alive Now in print! I have saved all my copies since 1983, and used them over and over again with many church groups. I assume similar material will be available online, but at my age (80), I find it much more comfortable to use the printed version.

Beth Richardson November 17, 2016 at 7:50 am

Thank you, Margaret. We are in the process ourselves of grieving. As we discern what is next, I hope you have also taken the survey to let us know your thoughts and signed up for the email newsletter. The links are above.

Peggy Foreman November 16, 2016 at 12:37 pm

I have never thrown away a copy. I have them all, especially the special “Katrina” copy since I was in the wake of that storm and live on the Louisiana coast. Also know most of the contributors to that issue. Just because the times may say to go digital–don’t give up the printed edition. I will pay more for the issue. It is one of my devotionals that I use daily–along with Upper Room Daily and Disciplines. Please reconsider–may be going quarterly–but going strictly digital–I will not use it. I enjoy my books and magazines too much. I have years of copies and will continue to use them.

Beth Richardson November 17, 2016 at 7:51 am

Hi, Peggy,

Thank you, thank you for your statements. Unfortunately, we have gone too far in stopping to be able to keep Alive Now going. We are hoping to consider all options in the shaping of a new publication. I hope you have also taken the survey to let us know your thoughts and signed up for the email newsletter. The links are above.

Paul Blunt November 16, 2016 at 2:12 pm

I am saddened to learn that Alive Now is ceasing publication. I have subscribed since 1974, and it has always been an important part of my spirituality. I will miss it. And although I know material will be available on-line, I am one of those who really appreciates the hard copy.

Beth Richardson November 17, 2016 at 7:52 am

Hi, Paul, Wow — how wonderful to connect with a reader from the early days! We are grieving with you. I hope you have also taken the survey to let us know your thoughts and signed up for the email newsletter. The links are above.

Anne November 16, 2016 at 3:02 pm

Essentially every comment I read expressed better than I can my sense of loss. I, too, have a stack of previous issues which I have used as resources. Presently, I am using Alive Now for a Bible based study in an assisted living facility. Using the computer has become a daily chore rather than a pleasant experience that reading and savoring provides.

Beth Richardson November 17, 2016 at 7:53 am

Anne — we are certainly with you on the drudge of the computer. Thank you for taking the time to let us know about how you are using the resource. I hope you have also taken the survey to let us know your thoughts and signed up for the email newsletter. The links are above.

Donna Flenniken November 16, 2016 at 3:43 pm

Alive Now was like a long soak in a deep tub of very warm spiritual water, stirring and healing through the blending of visions & voices 0f unique, yet shared faith stories. These have inspired us and challenged us to SEEK God and to SEE God’s Presence in the stuff of life right under our noses and well beyond our comfort zones even into the unknown. It always reminds us that we are a spiritual community, a tapestry woven from every person’s thread of faith. I have never seen a devotional magazine like this. It has changed my life. Thank you who made it possible all of these years.

Beth Richardson November 17, 2016 at 7:53 am

Donna — what a wonderful description of Alive Now. We will treasure it. Thank you for being a part of our community.

Mary Beth Blinn November 16, 2016 at 4:18 pm

I have subscribed to Alive Now since the 1970’s and have kept every copy. One time, after moving, I realized that our subscription had lapsed and we had not received one for 6 months. I called the AN office and asked if we could get back copies so our collection would be complete. The back copies arrived soon and were added to the shelf. My daughter, now a pastor herself, has asked if she can inherit my collection.

I have used Alive Now for personal devotions, sermon preparation, worship planning ideas and sharing with others. I am thankful for this valuable ministry.

Beth Richardson November 17, 2016 at 7:54 am

Mary Beth,

We are thankful for you. And grateful for your story and the passing along of the legacy to your daughter. That is wonderful.

Jolene November 16, 2016 at 5:08 pm

So sorry the printed version is going away and I probably won’t seek it online. I’m not an online kinda person and don’t like how it sucks up large quantities of time every time I get on.
I’ve been reading Alive Now for so long I don’t even remember how it all started. I used it for worship resource inspiration in the beginning, but then it became my own personal spiritual uplifting time to read it regularly. Again, so sorry to see it go away…

Beth Richardson November 17, 2016 at 7:56 am

Hi, Jolene,

We grieve with you. Thank you for traveling with us on this journey and for taking the time to comment.

Eve Gilkes November 16, 2016 at 6:33 pm

Just so sad you are going, any chance of a rethink?
It wasn’t just a daily bible study it was all you could want and need on a daily basis.
God bless you
Eve

Beth Richardson November 17, 2016 at 7:55 am

Eve,

Unfortunately, we will not be able to resurrect Alive Now in its current form. However, we want to consider all types of distribution as we look forward to what is next.

Virginia Spiegel November 16, 2016 at 7:52 pm

I wish you every blessing as you step across this threshold. I have subscribed to Alive Now for many years and given gifts of the magazine to others. I thank you for your many years of service. I am 84 years of age and prefer the printed copy. However, I will try to adjust.

Beth Richardson November 17, 2016 at 7:56 am

Hello, Virginia,

Much love to you and many thanks for traveling with us. Your words are an inspiration.

Kate November 16, 2016 at 9:15 pm

I received my first copy from my church when I was in grad school. I love it and often read it cover to cover. I’ve kept nearly all my copies.

Beth Richardson November 17, 2016 at 7:57 am

Hi, Kate,

So glad to hear how we met. Thank you!!

Tina November 16, 2016 at 10:32 pm

I have treasured my Alive Now’s since the 1980’s. I have them all except for some more recent transition years when I didn’t subscribe. That was a mistake not to subscribe. I can identify with all the comments people have made. Especially the ones who value the print format with, as one person named it, the intimacy of holding that little booklet, carrying it around in a purse or backpack. Just the ease of that. The computer or other electronic device is becoming quite tiring. I would pay more for the printed copy, also. i have another publication which went electronic a few years ago. I don’t read it anymore, sadly. Again the nurturance of holding the printed booklet is a gift that comes along with each issue of Alive Now.
Wishing you well and God’s blessings as you discern your next steps.

Beth Richardson November 17, 2016 at 7:58 am

Hi, Tina,

Thank you for sharing. As we evaluate the future resources, I’m hoping that we’ll consider many avenues of distribution.

Abigail Greene November 17, 2016 at 8:18 am

I don’t know how I first saw AN but it was the issue of Boxes, I believe the second one that was published. I have subscribed ever since; not only for myself but for my family and friends and I order 10 more and hand them out like “tracts” although I now know who really likes them and seek them out when I take them to church. My favorites were the Advent Issues because I used them for inspiration for the 8 years I did them for our Women’s Group. I had saved every issue until it was time to move to the Retirement Community where we now live. The hardest thing I had to do was to throw away all the ANs and Weavings I had collected. I have tried to throw them away since we moved and I have saved more than I really have room for. Every issue has things that especially touch my heart. And I , too, prefer something I can hold in my hands and go back to easily. I do have other sources; however they are just not the same.

Beth A Richardson December 10, 2016 at 7:37 am

Abigail — Wow — the Boxes issue. Very cool. I have seen that one, but I was not a reader myself until the 80’s.

Thank you, thank you, thank you for not only receiving copies for yourself, but also sharing them as you have.

Thank you so much for journeying with us. We are so, so grateful for you.

Gretchen Toler-Debus November 17, 2016 at 10:06 pm

I discovered my first copy of ‘Alive Now’ at my church years ago and fell in love with it. Years later, ‘Alive Now’ helped me find the confidence to write. Thank you for being a very needed companion on my spiritual journey.

Beth A Richardson December 10, 2016 at 7:38 am

Gretchen,

Thank you for your gift of writing. It has been wonderful to journey with you!

Peggy Ramert November 17, 2016 at 11:12 pm

I have read the other comments and agree with each! I met Alive Now at a church I was visiting and we have been best friends ever since. My Dad always told me that if something wasn’t broken, don’t fix it! I can’t imagine that AN is broken in any way, shape or form! Please do not fix it and please reconsider this move!!! And I have already taken the survey and signed up for emails!!!

Beth A Richardson December 10, 2016 at 7:39 am

Thanks, Peggy, for taking the survey and signing up for the email. We are so grateful for you, for your travels with us on the journey. We don’t know what is coming, but we pray that God’s spirit will blow through The Upper Room and will enlighten our steps.

Many blessings,

Jane November 18, 2016 at 5:47 am

Dear Beth, I am someone who has come to treasure Alive Now through your online presence rather than the printed version. It is wonderful to wake up every morning to another email devotional and the rich resources provided each day. I am one who also loves the printed page, but as I try to de-clutter my life, I enjoy having this come to me digitally. I do admit to printing out my favorites, however! And I truly hope the daily emails will continue!

Beth A Richardson December 10, 2016 at 7:41 am

Hello, Jane,

Thank you for letting us know about your journey with us in the digital realm. We will be having some changes in our daily emails and will share those as we get closer to the end of Alive Now’s work. Thank you for traveling with us.

Many blessings,

Dorothy Johnson November 19, 2016 at 8:40 am

I picked up a copy of Alive Now at church several years ago and subscribed because it blessed me. Sometimes when I read it online, I’d respond to the prompts to participate in discussion. It was your response to one of those, Beth, that gave me the courage to submit to the publication. Being included in it from time to time has blessed me and encouraged me in my writing journey. Thank you. I look forward to the new thing God will do.

Beth A Richardson December 10, 2016 at 7:42 am

Hi, Dorothy,

So happy that you got courage to submit your writing. It has been a blessing to us and to our readers.

Thank you for journeying with us.

Karen Anderson December 1, 2016 at 7:24 am

I found Alive Now online! I have been ministered to through each issue with an online subscription.
What I appreciate is that I can look at it with any device I have with me and share with another as opportunity arises. Sometimes I just need to read it again at work, etc. I am a senior and I love the convenience of having it with me digitally, really! Just thinking of how many more people you can reach! Thank you for hearing God’s leading. Everyday sacred, Karen

Beth A Richardson December 10, 2016 at 7:43 am

Karen,

Thank you for your story. It’s exciting to know that we reached you online. I’m grateful for you taking the time to let us know.

Many blessings and much gratitude,

Bradford Bosworth December 5, 2016 at 8:29 am

Hi Beth,

For I love print at my finger tips, in my hands to touch and I know that I will always have the Word of God in print to hold close. And as Paul so graciously and miraculously wrote in his wonderful treatise on Love, “Love never faileth.” I also know for the good disciples there on staff at “Alive Now” their efforts are a labor of Love and that “God is Love” (1John 4:16) therefore I will still be able to find God in “Alive Now.” Blessings and Merry Christmas to you Beth and all the Saints at the GBOD!
Love Always and in All Ways,
Brad

Beth A Richardson December 10, 2016 at 7:44 am

Hi Brad,

We are so grateful for the gifts of your writing as you have shared it with us. We thank God for you and wish richest blessings to you and your family during this holiday season.

Pat Catellier December 7, 2016 at 7:18 am

I received Alive Now! as a Christmas gift from a pastor in the late 1990’s. I read the first issue from cover to cover in one setting. Over the years I have subscribed on and off and always enjoyed the creative writing, articles, etc. I have given it as a gift on several occasions. The thematic issues were helpful and very good as I particularly liked the November-December issues. There was an issue on “Peace” a few years ago that was outstanding.
Hopefully you will be continuing in other formats.

Pat

Beth A Richardson December 10, 2016 at 7:45 am

Pat,

Thank you for your comments. I love hearing the stories of how we met! We are hoping to continue the spirit of Alive Now in some form. We’re grateful for your journey with us.

Irwin Jennings December 7, 2016 at 1:58 pm

I subscribed to Alive Now regularly in the first few years when I was an active pastor, used material for sermons, personal devotions and newsletters. I appreciated the personal journeys of writers such as Hinson, Job, Nouwen, Wendy Wright…

Beth A Richardson December 10, 2016 at 7:46 am

Hi, Irwin,

Love to hear how we met and how you used Alive Now. We are grateful for our journey together through the pages.

Jane Sylves December 8, 2016 at 4:51 am

I am trying to focus on the online version of our daily Alive Now devotions, still with my print version and my Bible here beside me. We can change…with you. I am looking at my words “our daily Alive Now devotions” and realizing that reflects how effectively you, Beth, have made us one.
Sharing these daily prayers and Scriptural reflections has built such a Community of Believers! Thank you. I’ll continue to be part of the family and await “what is next.”

Beth A Richardson December 10, 2016 at 7:47 am

Dear Jane,

Thanks so much for being a part of our journey. We are grateful for you.

Jan January 2, 2017 at 4:43 pm

Well, this is a little different. When The Upper Room print copies at church seemed to be running out fast, I looked online to see if it was available there. It was, of course. The website was in an early version. At some point I found Alive Now, a name which hints so well at the dilemmas and struggles of those of us here in the “Church Militant.” I found that if my faith and thinking still needed challenging after the devotional, I might very well find a prod in Alive Now online.

I do sometimes miss The Upper Room in print. But Paul or James or Mark still come and speak, afresh, through the human agency of translators on through webmasters of our time.

Beth A Richardson January 13, 2017 at 8:42 am

Jan, thank you so much for taking the time to share.

Many blessings and great gratitude!

Jan January 2, 2017 at 4:56 pm

(In referring to the Church Militant I am NOT talking about the U.S. political movement called that. Maybe that shouldn’t go online.)

Beth A Richardson January 13, 2017 at 8:48 am

No problem. 🙂

Virginia January 10, 2017 at 11:27 am

Beth, I first met Alive Now in high school. I have been reading and collecting this magazine since the late 1970s ( I’m only 20 though ;-P). I have nearly every issue and go back to them often to re-read different topics. I have tabs in many of them. I have used them for devotionals for small groups, ideas for youth group topics, as a starting point for my high school commencement speech, as gifts to friends and family, and various other needs in addition to my own spiritual growth. I am sad to see Alive Now pass on. Thank you for your dedication to this great resource!

Beth A Richardson January 13, 2017 at 8:39 am

Thank you, Virginia — I’m so glad that we did meet and that Alive Now has been a part of your journey for so many years.

In gratitude,

Carl Tribett January 10, 2017 at 10:46 pm

Hi Beth! I don’t remember when I first met Alive Now — probably when I was looking through a catalog of items from Upper Room Publications. I probably read the description, decided to send for a sample copy, and was instantly hooked. Being a visual person, I have loved the beautiful imagery found in the pages of Alive Now. And I have given thought to framing some of the covers, or hanging them on a bulletin board in my home study — so inspiring. Often I would use the one-word themes on the covers as a centering prayer. I also loved the thematic approach to each issue. I found the Alive Now Daily Reflections to be very helpful/inspiring/challenging to my daily devotion time. I often used articles from the publication as opening devotions to business meetings at the two churches I currently serve, and quite often found the writings as jumping off points in sermon preparation. I shall truly miss Alive Now arriving in my mailbox. I pray God’s blessings on you and your staff as you discern the next chapter that you and God will write together in bringing inspiring devotional materials to people everywhere hungering and thirsting to be closer to God. Thank you for blessing my life, as you have the lives of so many.

Beth A Richardson January 13, 2017 at 8:38 am

Hi, Carl, Thanks so much for sharing how we met and how you have used Alive Now in your leadership and church life. I’m so honored to have been a part of this journey.

Many blessings,

Jacquelin Lyman January 11, 2017 at 9:24 am

My husband, Gerald, a PCUSA pastor, introduced me to “Alive Now” when it was first published, many years ago (probably in the 70’s or early 80’s). He used its resources regularly and shared the precious magazine with me. As a pastor’s wife I often was asked to lead devotionals, provide retreats, and regularly turned to AN for resource materials to inspire and stimulate my thinking in preparing for such events. I continued to subscribe even after Gerald no longer made use of the little treasure. I have shared copies with those in hospitals or home-bound. I have ordered extra copies for use with small group study. As an elder leading worship committees, serving on presbytery committees and church sessions, I have found AN to be an invaluable tool to teach and stimulate spiritual formation and provide direction and discussion. AN has been at the core of my devotional life for over 30 years. Yes, I grieve and I continue to hope that somehow I will be able to access these wonderful resources in some other form in the future.

Beth A Richardson January 13, 2017 at 8:37 am

Thank you for sharing the story of our meeting. And thanks for sharing Alive Now with others.

In gratitude,

Jacquelin Lyman January 11, 2017 at 9:33 am

Beth, you brought a spirituality and focus to “Alive Now” when you came on board a number of years ago. The photography and color added depth to the magazine, which touched me deeply. I use visualization and Centering Prayer regularly and your images became emblazoned in my mind’s eye. Thank you for your creative spirit and your beautiful spiritual expressions in words. You have mentored me as I have grown in my own spiritual formation experience. I am forever grateful.

Beth A Richardson January 13, 2017 at 8:36 am

I’m overwhelmed, Jacquelin, by your words. Thank you for taking the time to share your journey with us. It has been an honor to travel together in this spiritual pilgrimage.

Blessings and great thanks,

Mary January 11, 2017 at 10:45 pm

Beth,
Your video was amazing!!!! Instead of feeling sorry for yourself (as I & many do when a door closes) you remain open to the possibilities God has in store for you, Alive Now and the ‘family of readers’.
Often your writings and the various pieces left me breathless. They have been magnificent conduits for the Holy Spirit to reach deep into my soul.
I use different resources to guide my Spiritual Journey now and remain grateful for the part you and Alive Now has played in my growth and devotion.
May God return to you, Beth, the blessings you and Alive Now have given me and countless others!
In the strong name of Jesus, who is the Christ ~ Amen and Alleluia!
Gratitude and admiration,
Mary
Midland, MI

Beth A Richardson January 13, 2017 at 8:35 am

Thank you, Mary, for your kind words. I’m so grateful that the Holy Spirit has touched you through Alive Now. Thank you for your witness to its presence with you.

What resources are helpful to you today in your journey?

Many blessings — and thanks for traveling with us!

Marge January 12, 2017 at 2:33 pm

This has been mentioned already. I, too, have kept certain issues because of the topic that was very important to me, and gone back to review from time to time.

Beth A Richardson January 13, 2017 at 8:33 am

Wonderful, Marge. Do you have any favorites?

Jacquelin Lyman January 13, 2017 at 10:23 am

Please send Daily Reflections only. Thanks

Charlotte January 16, 2017 at 7:56 am

I echo so many of the comments above. I will sorely miss holding this beautifully created booklet each time it comes out. The very best first part of a new issue was opening it and seeing your picture, Beth. It was you I was first drawn to because of the peace you exude in your smile. You drew me in. I’ll be watching for where this stream next flows on. God holds your hand.