Lord, Have Mercy

by Beth A Richardson on June 12, 2016 · 12 comments

cross in window

By Beth A. Richardson

The news is bad.
We are outraged and horrified.
We are shocked and afraid.
We are overwhelmed and numb.
How many more times will we awake to such news?

Some of us sit in front of the television,
Search the internet for stories,
Watch, listen for something
That will help make sense,
That will soothe or comfort,
That will bring order back again.

Some of us can’t bear the words, the images.
The press conferences and scrolling news feeds
Freeze our brains, our hearts, our guts.

Some of us pray.
Some of us escape.
Some of us rage.
Some of us cry.

God, have mercy on our world.
Have mercy on the powerless and the powerful.
Have mercy on the first responders and those in ministry to the brokenhearted.
Have mercy on the victims, their families, their friends.

Sit with us in our terror, our sadness, our hopelessness.
And let us hold the space for others as we
Sit or cry, light candles or pray,
In solidarity, in hope, in love.
Amen.

Lynn June 13, 2016 at 10:12 am

Thank you, Beth, for putting into words what I, and so many others, couldn’t. I’m about to attend our annual UMC conference, and I wonder how this horrific event might change the dialogue here, I pray, for the better. This has shocked and saddened me beyond expression. Prayers for you, too, as you stand in the space for others who need our love and prayers.

Beth A Richardson June 13, 2016 at 11:40 am

Lynn, some people have to watch TV. I have to write. It helped me to reflect. Thank you for taking the time to post.

Bonnie Finley June 14, 2016 at 12:59 pm

Dear Beth,
I’m so blessed to be one of the hostesses in the UR Chapel and Museum. Your writing touches my heart, mind and soul, in other words my whole being. This written is exactly how I am praying and interceding in and for our world. Thank you, thank you Beth. May The Lord continue to bless and protect you as you share your gift with us.

I have also been praying the prayer of St. Patrick, that I memorized as a child in my school… St. Patrick’s Catholic Church and School in Saint Paul, Minnesota. I am continuing to enjoy your newest book of Celtic blessings. I have been gifting to others the I know will enjoy it too. One of the ladies will be 101 years young this month on the 20th. She is a blessing and inspiration to me.

Thanks again Beth for sharing yourself with us as readers, who are inspired to draw closer to Our Lord and God during difficult and good times through your writing. God bless you. Bonnie Finley

Beth A Richardson June 15, 2016 at 7:27 am

Bonnie,

Thank you so much for taking the time to write and tell me your thoughts. I’m so grateful that my words touched you. The words, themselves, were a gift to me from wherever those gifts arrive. And thank you so much for sharing my book with others. I’m so excited that your friend (101 years young) has a copy. You’ve made my day.

Many blessings,

Tom Albin June 14, 2016 at 10:45 pm

Beth,
Your prayer gave expression to my experience in response to the news. Thank you for sharing your gift and your insight. I am joining you in prayer.

Tom

Beth A Richardson June 15, 2016 at 7:27 am

Tom,

Thank you so much for reading and taking the time to respond.

Many blessings,

George Campos August 28, 2016 at 1:50 pm

Your words are as blessed as those
In the Bible Keep writing an we will
Keep reading

Rebecca Hicks September 6, 2016 at 6:55 am

I’m praying for Jesus Christ to bring a new season of; healing, restoration, peace, light, and love. Heal our hurting and weak, send out warriors to help the sick and defenseless. The enemy will not win!!!

brettbetsy8b@gmail.com October 7, 2016 at 8:29 pm

us.

Betsy Barnard Brett" October 7, 2016 at 8:53 pm

I know of a deaper Crisis It’s the Worlds Poorest of the Poor who we helped get there
But now everyone has left them because of BDS Boycott Divestment Sanctions And We All
Need to return to them because they are Starving Cold Naked People who Count on us to
Help Them but no one will they have war From the north and South Leaders Whose only
Interest is to kill and destroy Jews they hate them for no reason Please go to iifcj.org and see the Worlds Poorest of the Poor and Help them Please I Stand for Israel and no one Helps my why
.”Read Genesis 12:3 and bless this nation of the Lord our God I exhort you Please Help Them

Jena F Jones October 30, 2016 at 2:32 am

Lydia

I am thankful to hear from you regarding this issue in particular. I personally have a couple of personal issues in which I experienced God’s grace, and mercy in place of his judgement. I had been living in sin, barely getting by, not knowing how to escape a bad situation. I couldn’t pray, nor maintain my thoughts. I went back to church, and now I am beginning to communicate more with people the Lord are brining into my future, in Jesus name. Father God, I just thank you in advance for all that I have, in Christ Jesus of Nazareth holy name. I cannot express how good you make me feel father God, and I am eager to share my future, and present with you. I plan to be near you, where you are, so I can become more like you, in more observant ways, including fulfilling your calling upon my life, in Jesus holy name. I love you father God, and I pray that your love touches me, reaching out to cleanse me from all sins, and purifying me in the hollowness of your spirit, in Jesus holy name I pray. I bless your holy and most high name, Father God, Jehovah God, in Jesus holy name.

Teresia November 3, 2016 at 9:48 pm

God is merciful and no weapon fashioned will exel still may you be strong because if God be for u who can be against you. Thanks to God and to Beth for strengthening peoples life. May God see you through.

Comments on this entry are closed.