Advent Practice – Pray with Your Camera

by Beth A Richardson on November 4, 2015 · 86 comments

Advent photo practice

Are you a visual psalmist? Do you pray with your camera in your hand? If so, please join us this Advent season for Alive Now’s Advent Photo a Day spiritual practice. Come to this page each day to find the word for the day. Then stop, watch, wait, see … for God’s presence in the word for the day. Tag your photo on social media (Facebook or Twitter) with #(today’s word), #AliveNowMag, #AdventPhoto.

We’re looking forward to joining in this spiritual practice with you beginning the first Sunday of Advent, November 29.

Blessings!
The Alive Now Staff

Irene Fennema November 5, 2015 at 9:40 am

I would love to do this! The only problem being that it is dark outside too soon these days! I may have to do a few words at a time on the weekends when I am off of work. Thank you for this idea! I love to pray with my camera in hand! 🙂

Beth Richardson November 12, 2015 at 9:13 am

Irene — so glad you love to pray with your camera in your hand. Please feel free to join in whatever way that you can.

Dawn November 29, 2015 at 8:48 am

Hi Beth. I am unable to particpate with photography. Would contributions from Scripture, prose, or poetry..don’t suppose that would fit the bill?

Beth November 29, 2015 at 1:57 pm

Hi Dawn, that sounds like a wonderful solution. If you would like to, just share in the comments area for each day’s daily reflection. You’ll see at the top of the web page a link to “daily reflections” — that would be where you would go to share. Thank you for thinking creatively.

Margie Barnett November 5, 2015 at 10:18 am

I plan on doing this – what a wonderful way to reflect on the glory of God each day!

Beth Richardson November 12, 2015 at 9:14 am

Hi, Margie,

So glad that we will do this together!

Barbara Drewry November 5, 2015 at 10:47 am

Wonderful idea! I will do this! PTL! 🙂

Beth Richardson November 12, 2015 at 9:14 am

Fantastic, Barbara.

Laurel Coolbaugh November 5, 2015 at 4:49 pm

What a creative way to enter into Advent. Thank you.

Beth Richardson November 12, 2015 at 9:15 am

You are welcome. I hope we’ll be doing this practice together!

Margie November 5, 2015 at 7:11 pm

Hello. I love this idea… what a lovely excuse to take photos daily! & great timing!… Can I be a part of this without tweeting?? Is it going to be on facebook too?? x margie

Beth Richardson November 12, 2015 at 9:17 am

Hi, Margie — yes, you don’t have to tweet. If you post to your own Facebook page, be sure to include the hashtags — #AliveNowMag #AdventPhoto

That allows us to search on those tags and we’ll see your images. Or you could post your image to the Alive Now page: https://www.facebook.com/Alive.now.magazine/

Blessings!

Jane November 5, 2015 at 10:29 pm

What a memory maker for this Advent Season… Am looking forward to participating and seeing photos of others!!

Thanks for such a wonder-full practice!!

Jane

Kathy November 11, 2015 at 3:02 pm

Oh, thank you – we spoke about this in Los Altos…
Count me in!

Beth Richardson November 12, 2015 at 9:17 am

Kathy — looking forward to it. It was so nice to meet you!

Beth Richardson November 12, 2015 at 9:17 am

Fantastic, Jane! Blessings.

Karen November 7, 2015 at 8:29 pm

Love this idea!!

Beth Richardson November 12, 2015 at 9:18 am

Thanks, Karen.

Martha November 8, 2015 at 9:38 am

Don’t forget Instagram!

Beth Richardson November 12, 2015 at 9:18 am

Instagram for sure. Thank you, Martha!

Mary Bustamante November 15, 2015 at 2:02 pm

I want to do this. I have a tradition of “chasing the light” and photographing sunsets and Nature shots. I have never used the hash tags before. I am going to post a sunset picture from Anchorage, Alaska to see if it works today.
Blessings.

Beth Richardson November 19, 2015 at 12:36 pm

Mary, that sounds wonderful!! I love “chasing the light.” Did you get a sunset picture posted? And where? I want to see it.

Debbie Lehman November 17, 2015 at 6:00 pm

Anyway to sign up for an email of this everyday?

Beth Richardson November 19, 2015 at 12:39 pm

Hi, Debbie,

We’ll be posting a photo for each day in our Alive Now daily reflections email. You can sign up for that email on this page at the upper right sign up form that says, “Sign up for Daily Reflections by email.
Enter your email address:”

We’d love to have you join us!

If you are wanting to participate and follow, just be sure to use the hashtags #AliveNowMag and #AdventPhoto. Then you can click on one of those tags and see all the things that people have posted on Facebook, Twitter, and Instagram.

Blessings!

Susan November 18, 2015 at 8:21 am

I love it! Thanks. 🙂

Beth Richardson November 19, 2015 at 12:39 pm

Wonderful, Susan!!

Blessings

MRy November 18, 2015 at 4:48 pm

I can not wit to do this! It is important to remind ourselves and others of Christ’s love and what better way then through Advent Pictures. God Is Great!!!

MRy November 18, 2015 at 4:50 pm

Sorry my Fat fingers. The name is Mary.

Beth Richardson November 19, 2015 at 12:40 pm

It will be fun to do this together!

Monie November 18, 2015 at 8:01 pm

I am so enthused about this! It is just what I needed! I feel drawn and led to taking photographs. Once the photo is taken, a Bible verse, or a quote will come to mind, or come in reading. Thank you!

Beth Richardson November 19, 2015 at 12:40 pm

Glad to meet you and join you as another praying photographer.

Emily November 20, 2015 at 7:34 am

This is new territory for me(praying with camera). But I have been exploring this and do want to participate. Thanks! I am excited for the opportunity.

Beth Richardson November 23, 2015 at 11:22 am

So happy you are open to exploring with us!!

Diana Hill November 20, 2015 at 2:04 pm

I am going to try this. We have never done advent wreath but this sounds very inspiring to find in nature these words.

Beth Richardson November 23, 2015 at 11:23 am

Diana,
So glad to be doing Advent with you in this new way.
Beth A. Richardson

Karen Davison November 20, 2015 at 4:38 pm

Will these instructions be given again when you send out the word for each day? I’d love to try this. Thanks for all you do to inspire us and to companion us in our daily and lifelong journeys. (From Academy #15)

Beth Richardson November 23, 2015 at 11:25 am

Hi, Karen,

We’ll be sending out the word each day as a part of an inspiring picture. If you sign up to receive our daily emails, we’ll have the instructions there every day. The sign-up form is in the right column on this page under the header, “Stay Connected.”

It will be fun to do this together. Hope all is well!

molly November 23, 2015 at 5:05 pm

A beautiful idea. I look forward to it. I also paint in watercolour and find each painting a doorway into the Mystery. Thanks for encouraging people to see the prayer in creativity. These days I even find a closeness to God in the pattern of darning a sock.

Beth Richardson November 24, 2015 at 6:51 am

Thank you for this reminder, Molly, that we can find the closeness of God in such everyday activities.

Many blessings,

Camille November 24, 2015 at 11:15 pm

Hi! How can I join this? 🙂 I’d love to join and I think this will be fun. I love taking amazing pictures and I know I’ll enjoy this one.

Beth Richardson November 28, 2015 at 8:17 am

Hi, Camille,

You can post your photos if you are on social media — Tag your photo on social media (Facebook or Twitter) with #(today’s word), #AliveNowMag, #AdventPhoto.

Laura November 27, 2015 at 7:17 am

I love this idea and look forward to experiencing advent with this unique way of looking for God in my world. Thank you, Beth!

Beth Richardson November 28, 2015 at 8:17 am

So glad that we’ll be doing this together, Laura.

Raya Newell November 27, 2015 at 9:05 pm

A couple of years ago I did a similar thing albeit that it was not a conscious praying with camera in hand. Last year I was recovering from a hip operation and couldn’t do it. This year I am recovering from a pelvic fracture so my ability will be limited but I am going to try and trust that the Holy Spirit speaks to me with each new word and contemplation. Thank you for inspiring us.

Beth Richardson November 28, 2015 at 8:18 am

May you heal and be touched by the words, Raya.

Blessings on your healing.

Debbie November 27, 2015 at 11:07 pm

What a great and fun idea! Thank you! I’m in for this grand advent journey. I’m gone the first week with slim internet possibilities to be able to share. But we’ll see……

Beth Richardson November 28, 2015 at 8:19 am

Debbie,

No problem — just participate when you can. So glad to be doing this together.

Raya Newell November 29, 2015 at 4:54 pm

Hi Beth,
I’m wondering if I’ve missed how and where to share posts regarding the Advent Prayer Photography? Could you please help me?
Thanks, Raya

Beth Richardson November 29, 2015 at 7:15 pm

Hi, Raya,

I don’t know whether you are on social media in any way. That is one way that people are able to share their photos. You can post on Facebook (https://www.facebook.com/Alive.now.magazine/), Twitter (https://twitter.com/alivenowmag), and Instagram (https://www.instagram.com/bethierich/)

Would any of these methods work for you?

Feel free to email me at brichardson@upperroom.org

Judy Shepherd December 13, 2015 at 2:30 pm

Dear Beth,
THANKS for this awesome idea and wonderful opportunity! I am “following” a fellow pilgrim from Academy #20 as she prays with her camera—what a JOY and BLESSING for ME!!! I’d asked her about the words, she said they were from AliveNow. WELL, I looked all thru this edition, couldn’t find them, and FINALLY found them today, on the website…slow learner, lol. ANYway, I “write” to these words which has been really cool for me. I “see” her pix and they inspire me to write…how amazing how our God works!

Blessings this awesome Christmas season….LOVING my subscription and have given one to my daughter for Christmas!

Shalom, Judy

Beth Richardson December 17, 2015 at 7:57 am

Hi, Judy,

How wonderful to connect in this way! I’m so happy you are participating in the way that works for you. Feel free to share your words as well, if you would like to. We are sharing images, thoughts, etc, on the picture post each day on the Alive Now facebook page — in the comments area.

Thanks for subscribing and for sharing Alive Now. That makes me so happy!!

Blessings and love,

Judy Shepherd December 20, 2015 at 8:12 pm

Hey Beth,
I LOVED this idea for having a word each day. I would LOVE to see that all year, like we do at the Academy. I am going to have a “jar” and starting Jan 1 will place in it each day thru the year a blessing. It would be cool to have a word to use, too. Just thinking out loud….

Merry Christmas & Shalom,
Judy

Beth Appel December 16, 2015 at 1:22 pm

I’ve been using my phone as a camera when something new spoke to me, but when nothing struck me, I’ve done some photo mining from the past. I hope this fits in with the intention of this practice. Thank you for this. I’ve been away from spiritual practices too long and this is a baby step back.

Beth Richardson December 17, 2015 at 7:55 am

Hi, Beth,

I think it is just fine to look to past photos. I’ve been doing that as well. Sometimes it helps me see the photos I took in a new, prayerful way. Thank you so much for participating with me!