Slave to Addiction

by Beth Richardson on June 26, 2013 · 8 comments

The Ascent of Elijah

Wednesday, June 26. Read Galatians 5:1, 13-25. As you read the sins in vv. 19-21, consider how these are like addictions. How are they like slavery?

What freedom does Christ offer?

Words from The Word: Christ has truly set us free. Now make sure that you stay free, and don’t get tied up again in slavery to the law.
- Galatians 5:1, NIT

This Week…

Lectionary Texts:

Audio Lectio Pray the scripture from Luke 9:57-62. Jesus says, “Follow me.”

Spiritual Tools: This week’s spiritual practice is Gratitude from The Uncluttered Heart by Beth A. Richardson.

Prayer: God of Fire, like Elisha I long for your gifts. Forgive me when I waste them on myself and give you excuses about why I can’t follow. Amen.

Art Credit: The Macklin Bible. The Ascent of Elijah from Art in the Christian Tradition, a project of the Vanderbilt Divinity Library, Nashville, TN.

A service of Alive Now magazine. Copyright © 2013 The Upper Room, 1908 Grand Ave., Nashville, TN 37212 USA. Order Alive Now in print or digital magazine format and nurture your spiritual life.

Jill June 26, 2013 at 6:17 am

Christ offers us utter freedom. Freedom to accept Him or to turn our backs on Him. Free will, free choice. He doesn’t force Himself onto us. But oh the blessedness of walking with Him – of choosing Him, of accepting His Gift. Father – thank You for not forsaking us, even though that is exactly what we deserve. Thank You for the ultimate display of love, and for the opportunity to share You with others.

Gary June 26, 2013 at 8:24 am

AMEN, Jill, Amen!

Gary June 26, 2013 at 8:26 am

Christ offers us the freedom to be our true selves.

suzanne dubé June 26, 2013 at 8:37 am

i think that if God gave his only son that is because he thought we were worth it. God can only love so why should he forsake us in any way.

jms June 26, 2013 at 7:05 pm

These are all such POWERFUL words and I thank each of you for them. Jane

suzanne dubé June 26, 2013 at 8:54 pm

thank you for putting up with my comments but i don’t think i belong here so i will be on my way. Be good or be bad ….God loves you in all ways. I still miss my little cat. bless you

Marian June 26, 2013 at 10:34 pm

God gave us freedom to love and be loved; freedom to find meaning in the most minute or outrageous details of life (yes, like maybe a dear companion cat! ;) freedom from hopelessness; freedom from our own selfishness; freedom from judgement…. FREEDOM! It is so vast and yet so particular. So precious, and yet we let fear overshadow it. We long for freedom, yet we fear it. Freedom is so free, yet it comes at the high cost of being rejected by all who fear it. Grant me, O gracious God, the courage to awaken each day daring to claim some new piece of the freedom you give me.

suzanne dubé June 27, 2013 at 7:18 am

yes that is true but freedom is so vast and great that i am in awe before it as i am before what am i to do in this world??? that to me is the greatest difficulty. Someone said to me once that if one suffers one is configured to Christ and so be at peace……but do you know anyone who wants to suffer.
One question that remains is …Jesus tells us that to enter the Kingdom of God we must be like little children. No child loves suffering?????