Doing and Being

by Beth Richardson on June 13, 2012 · 7 comments

Creation II

Wednesday, June 13. Read “Doing and Being” (p. 14) and consider how your experience of call is similar to or different from that of the author.

Have you always known your call? Or do you struggle for clarity?

Words from The Word: Samuel took the horn of oil, and anointed David in the presence of his brothers; and the spirit of the Lord came mightily upon David from that day forward. -1 Samuel 16:13, NRSV

This Week…

Lectionary Texts:

Audio Lectio: Join in praying the words of Mark 4:35-41.

Pray for: the people and countries of Angola and Mozambique.

Spiritual Tools: Let’s pay some close attention to the listening process with An Exercise in Listening to God by Marjorie Thompson.

Quote:

Restore us Lord. Once we prayed, knowing our help came from You. Once we defied injustice knowing that you were on our side. Once we prayed all night “’til our help came.” Once we apologized for calling someone a fool. Once we believed it was important to please you. Restore us as people who follow God even when no one is looking. Restore us Lord.

-Kwasi I. Kena
The Africana Worship Book: Year B

From page 147 of The Africana Worship Book: Year B, edited by Valerie Bridgeman Davis and Safiyah Fosua. Copyright © 2007 by Discipleship Resources. Used by permission.

Prayer: Anointing God, make me green and flowing with sap so that I may serve you as your new creation. Amen.

Art Credit: Creation II from Art in the Christian Tradition, a project of the Vanderbilt Divinity Library, Nashville, TN.

A service of Alive Now magazine. Copyright © 2012 The Upper Room, 1908 Grand Ave., Nashville, TN 37212 USA. Order Alive Now and nurture your spiritual life.

Buzz June 13, 2012 at 8:46 am

I struggled with discerning my call. I left my “working life” without feeling that I had ever found it. Since then God has shown me how I can serve God. Without searching for them, God has called me into several tasks. Combined, these tasks make up a calling I would never have been able to hear when I was young and in the working world. I now think I was not cooked enough.

Buzz June 13, 2012 at 9:07 am

AUDIO LECTIO ON MARK 4:26-32

phrase that speaks: “…like sowing seeds….”

heard: I had a ministry I could not see.

response: rest in assurance & peace

Buzz June 13, 2012 at 9:18 am

A PRAYER FOR ANGOLA & MOZAMBIQUE

Lord God Almighty,
Thank you for the faith of the people.
Hear their praise to You.
Give these people balanced seasons that their crops grow abundantly.
Protect them from the weapons of war and from the ravages of disease.
Give them Your love that they may see each other as friends; not as enemies.
Hear this prayer.
In Jesus name.
Amen.

Susan June 13, 2012 at 11:07 am

As someone in my early 70’s, I have found, and am still finding, that my call changes. Sometimes I grieve the passing of one call and pray that I will be open to what God has for me now. There have been many “passings” and many “nows,” but I find that God is faithful; I must be patient, still, attentive, and receptive in order to “hear,” and, yes, sometimes even “struggle” with “clarity” and “obedience.”

Pat June 13, 2012 at 6:59 pm

I “listened” to my call in my 40’s after a divorce. Returned to obtain my bachelor’s and master’s degrees. Became a Pastoral Counselor, Licensed Clinical Professional Counselor and Chaplain in a mental health setting where I had been a patient in my early 20’s. I heard the call then, but had not yet learned to “listen.” There was synchronicity involved in my return to this setting, as I did not apply. Instead the CEO of this hospital approached me. I retired after 23 years in that role. “Listening” again for the next call.

Molly June 14, 2012 at 12:44 am

I read these comments with interest. As a teenager, I felt a strong call. But in later years, I felt like Susan. As my life changed over the years, I looked for a fresh call but was never certain, and I often felt that the advice of others wasn’t quite ‘right’ for me. It seemed so often, not to ‘fit’.
Then, I came to the point that Gina talks about. A realization that I was ‘barking up the wrong tree’. Now, I see the call as a question of ‘being’, just as she describes. The rest has fallen into place without searching on my part. I found myself in things new and different almost without noticing. Now, there is so much wonder at how the Lord has worked throughout my life inspite of my efforts and anxieties about what God might want or not want me to be ‘doing’.

Gina Manskar, Editorial Assistant June 14, 2012 at 1:57 pm

What a wonderful testimony to the power of a change in perspective. I appreciate the wonder you experience. My work with Alive Now is just about the perfect job for me and I never would have predicted it would come along. It’s been as though God designed it just for me. I find the peace and joy I experience through it to be refreshing. It’s hard to be joyful when we are anxious, yes?