The Examen

by Beth A Richardson on October 10, 2011 · 81 comments

Autumn Leaves in New England

In his Spiritual Exercises, Ignatius urged that all be taught the examen, a daily examination of our deepest feelings and desires. He called these feelings our consolations (what connects us with God, others and ourselves) and desolations (what disconnects us). He believed that God would speak to us through these feelings and desires. It’s not surprising that this saint felt so strongly about the examen — this prayer practice changed him from a wild soldier to a pilgrim walking barefoot to Jerusalem.

The Examen helps us:

• Acknowledge sad or painful feelings and hear how God is speaking to us through them.
  • Overcome a pessimistic outlook by encouraging us notice the good in each day.
  • Tell the truth about who we truly are and what we need, rather than who we think we should be.
  • Become aware of seemingly insignificant moments that ultimately can give direction for our lives.

Preparation: You may wish to light a candle. Do whatever helps you to experience God’s loving presence with you. Take a few deep breaths. Breathe in God’s love, and when you breathe out, fill the space around you with it.

Ready to try it?

Get started with Step One.

“The Examen: Remembering the Day” from MethodX: The Way of Christ

Photo Credit: Digital Vision / ThinkStock

Carolyn Newsome May 8, 2012 at 9:22 am

At the state prison near my home I teach a group of inmates various subjects, all of which are designed to grow the Christian spiritually within each so that they have a different focus from when they entered. May I use the examin as a handout for them? As part of step 3 I would add: Record this in your journal.

Beth Richardson July 2, 2012 at 11:33 am

Carolyn,

I’m so sorry for the delay in getting back to you. I’m sure that would be fine.

Ingrid May 9, 2012 at 10:15 am

THANK YOU! God has so many surprises waiting out there. I live in the Mystery of it all.

Beth Richardson July 2, 2012 at 11:34 am

You are welcome. Blessings, Beth

Dorothy Johnson January 1, 2016 at 6:05 am

Before I opened my email today, I spent time in scripture, wrote in my journal about feeling adrift because I’ve been away from home and my routine since Christmas and won’t get back there for another week. With the flurry of the holiday, I got away from home without the printed devotionals I favor. Alive Now was my first email notification, and I plunged right into another “Quiet Time” with you. I believe in transparency in our Christian walk. It helps us be real and allows others to be so, too. The Examen is the perfect tool to help us do that and to pinpoint what is going on the mind and soul. Through the years, I’ve employed some of these steps in seeking to go deeper with God. My plan for 2016, is to use it in a deliberate way. Thank you for Alive Now and The Examen. May 2016 be filled with wondrous works of God among his people.

nootropics April 5, 2016 at 12:46 pm

Various kits possess variety of robots like easy to assemble
robots are for the beginners. This is another very appealing aspect
of the approach taken by FAP Turbo. com Product Description)Amazing description…more so with this invention.