Intercessory Prayer

by Beth Richardson on May 20, 2011 · 40 comments

Post image for Intercessory Prayer

| Submit a Prayer Request |

Intercessory prayer is a form of prayer in which we ask not for ourselves but for another. We ask God to intercede in human affairs, making God’s presence known on earth.

Intercessory prayers are found in the Bible. Many of the psalms were cries of intercession. The prophets offered prayers of intercession for the people of Israel. In the Gospel stories. Jesus instructed his disciples to intercede for the lost (Matt. 9:36-38), and he told his followers to pray for their enemies (Matt. 5:44). Jesus practiced intercessory prayer when he prayed for Peter (Luke 22:31-32), when he prayed for his disciples (John 17), and in his final hours when he prayed, “Father, forgive them; for they do not know what they are doing” (Luke 23:34).

We follow these biblical examples whenever we pray for others. . . . We are invited into intercessory prayer whenever another asks for our prayers or when we request prayers for someone else.

Excerpted from “Intercession” by Jane E. Vennard in The Dictionary of Christian Spiritual Formation, © 2003 Upper Room Books. Used with permission.

Submit a Prayer Request

You are invited to submit a prayer to The Upper Room Living Prayer Center. (Your prayer will be prayed for by one of The Upper Room’s covenant prayer groups. Please use only first names and keep your requests simple. Do not share identifying information. Remember, God knows the details.)

| Submit a Prayer Request |

About The Upper Room Living Prayer Center

The mission of The Upper Room Living Prayer Center is to help individuals, small groups and local congregations grow in their understanding and experience of prayer. For more than 30 years, the prayer center has existed to help disciples of Christ experience the living, transformative power of prayer. Intercessory prayer is not something that just “happens.” The ministry is dedicated to fulfill the mission of Galatians 6:2 – “Bear one another’s burdens, and in this way you will fulfill the law of Christ.” Funding for the toll free line is provided by The Upper Room, United Methodist Men and individual gifts.

Intercessory prayer groups across the nation are a vital part of the prayer ministry. Upper Room Covenant Prayer Groups, chartered after a minimal study period, receive prayer requests weekly or monthly from The Upper Room. There are now over 300 Covenant Prayer Groups across the United States and abroad.

For further information or to become a prayer volunteer, contact:
The Upper Room Living Prayer Center
P.O. Box 340004
Nashville, TN 37203-0004
Call:877-889-2780 Ext. 7215
Fax:(615) 340-7523
E-mail prayer@upperroom.org

Photo credit: © Beth A. Richardson. This is a cross on the grounds of Mercy Center, Burlingame, CA.

N June 4, 2011 at 1:37 am

Dear god,thanks for blessing nd protecting me uptill now,please forgive me for the sins which i might have done knowingly or unknowingly.i m asking with a  sincere nd pure heart, as i m 7 months pregnant,i request you to grant me a healthy baby boy this time as i already have a lovely nd wonderful daughter.all the family members are eagerly awaiting for the arrival of a son. Please Please grant me this one wish,i promise to spend the rest of my life in your service.kindly please pray for me.many thanks,amen.

Beth Richardson June 6, 2011 at 9:09 am

Our prayers are with you. Blessings, Beth

Gana Wilson June 7, 2011 at 5:58 pm

I have been praying for Jeffrey and I hope to see his life changed and without drinking.

Beth Richardson June 8, 2011 at 7:59 am

Prayers for Jeffrey.
Blessings

Duane September 9, 2011 at 12:17 pm

I believe that said it best in 5:16 ……..The effective, fervent prayers of a righteous man avails much.
If we don’t pray for those in need, who will ? AMEN ??

Beth Richardson September 9, 2011 at 12:58 pm

Amen to that!

Phil September 23, 2011 at 12:48 am

Please Pray my soulmate has already been prepared for me and I have already been prepared for my soulmate.Pray GOD unites me and my soulmate together real soon.Never been on a date or ever had a girlfriend and been Praying and hoping for this for at least 18 years…Prov 13:12 Hope deferred maketh the heart sick, but when the desire cometh, it is a tree of life… Please Pray GOD Blesses me so i can Bless others in every way every day of my life.Pray I can help people who are targeted by every kind of evil 100% of the time.Pray GOD Blesses me to be able to expose evil 100% of the time and evil will not be able to hide once exposed.Pray a hedge of protection around mind body and soul. Pray GOD overflows me with HIS Power,HOLY SPIRIT and Presence in my life. Pray the HOLY SPIRIT is so strong in my life that satan and his servents will flee with terror because GODS presence is so strong in my life. Pray my body would be a strong vessel for the HOLY SPIRIT. Pray GOD causes satan and those used by satan great confusion when they come against me with their evil plans and Pray GOD sends His angels to to fight along side me when is happens.Pray GOD cuffs me in His Hand when evil comes against me.Pray GOD raises me lightyears above satan and those used by satan to glorify GOD.Pray GOD watches over me at all times.Pray GOD takes away all my fear and increases my faith.Pray GOD heals my body completely.Pray all the people that have seen my Prayer Requests in past years will be reminded to Pray for my Prayer Requests again.Pray all the people who saw my Prayer Requests in the past years will have it put it in their hearts and minds to Pray for my past Prayer Requests again…In JESUS Name Amen…Thanks for your Prayers…

Beth Richardson September 23, 2011 at 7:50 am

Amen. Blessings,

Mary Maloney October 1, 2012 at 8:47 am

Thanks for the opportunity to share prayer requests for East Belfast Mission as they open the new Skainos (means tent) building for more mission and ministry to the community of East Belfast North Ireland. To God be the Glory!! L&Ps, MLM

Marian October 21, 2013 at 10:53 pm

Please pray for our friends W and C, who deeply grieve the tragic accidental drowning of their precious 20-year-old son just 3 months ago. Their hearts are so broken; the earth still quakes beneath their feet. Pray for wisdom and sensitivity of friends and family who walk beside them thru this terrible valley. Pray that God’s love will uphold and sustain them and their two teenagers. In holy wonder of the mysteries of life and of death….

Beth Richardson October 22, 2013 at 9:09 am

For W and C and their family as the grieve, we pray, Lord, healing them and hold them. Amen.

Fran Hagler February 24, 2014 at 8:34 am

Please pray for peace in the Middle East. Pray for the people of Isreal. Pray for our President and our Congress that they will come to agreement and bring back a United States of America. Pray for China and North Korea that they will have peace and love in their nations and for all of the rest of the world. We are all God’s Children and He loves all of us. He formed us each and knew us before we were born. He knows us all and we are all capable of loving each other. Forgive.

Beth Richardson February 24, 2014 at 9:51 am