The Season of Easter

by Beth A Richardson on April 25, 2011 · 47 comments

Post image for The Season of Easter

by Norman Shawchuck and Rueben P. Job

THE LORD IS RISEN; the tears of grief have given way to tears of joy; and the followers of Jesus Christ now try to life in this world where evil, darkness, and death itself have been unconditionally conquered.

Evil conquered? Yes! Death conquered? Yes! To live in a world where evil holds no fear and death holds no threat requires a radical shift in understanding and attitude. Such a world is no longer under the dominant control of darkness but is already showing signs of the healing and life-giving presence of light, God’s light. The truth that darkness can never extinguish the light gives us confidence and hope in this season and in all seasons.

Courage now flourishes where fear once dominated. We no longer tremble before powers of darkness and evil for we know that their ultimate defeat already has occurred, and we can face them unafraid. What is there that can really do us harm?

We now know the assurance that Paul declared: “In all these things we are more than conquerors through him who loved us. … I am convinced that neither death, nor life, … nor anything else in all creation, will be able to separate us from the love of God in Christ Jesus our Lord” (Rom. 8:37-39).

Excerpted from A Guide to Prayer for All Who Seek God, by Norman Shawchuck and Rueben P. Job. Copyright © 2003 by Norman Shawchuck and Rueben P. Job. Published by Upper Room Books ®. All Rights Reserved. Used by permission.

Photo credit: Beth Richardson. “I took this photo at Scarritt Bennett Center. You don’t get a good view of the dogwood trees until you look up through the blooms on a sunny day. It’s amazing!”

J K Thompson April 25, 2011 at 7:48 am

As I enter the last three weeks of spring term, I will hold Christ in my heart. Because He lives, I can not only face the future, I can live in its hope.

Beth Richardson April 25, 2011 at 8:39 am

Prayers for you these last weeks of school.

Blessings!

Molly April 26, 2011 at 7:09 pm

Thank you for this selection. I’m putting it in a place where I can see it often. It seems to me that I don’t always think enough about what a huge impact the RISEN Christ must be making in my life. There was a song… “Because He lives, I can face tomorrow…”.
And then, Paul’s words are so reassuring… ” Nothing can separate us…”.
I love the photo. It brings back memories of a beautiful spring spent in some of the eastern States.
God bless all those involved in school at this time. There are those I know finishing and those I know beginning, teachers and students at all levels. May they know your Risen Presence each day.

Gary April 9, 2012 at 1:19 pm

Because of the power of the Risen Christ in each of our lives, we can be as bold as Jesus when facing the Evil One: In the name of the Christ Jesus of Nazareth, the son of the only true living God, I tell you: “Get behind me Satan.”

Theresa Koller April 7, 2013 at 7:23 am

Celebrating Easter is an ongoing happening. The church is such a wise mother creating seasons in the year to remember our faith and share our joy as christians.

Mary L. Maloney March 31, 2016 at 5:58 pm

Praise and Gratitude to God in this Easter Season. We can share our Joy and Boldness often. Thanks always for your wonderful resources. AMEN !!!

Duane Heidenreich April 20, 2017 at 5:49 am

Dear Alive Now friends,
I have used “Alive Now” for many years. What is to take its place?.
Also I have used “A Guide for all who seek God” for about three years. What would you suggest next for devotional inspiration?
Thanks,
Duane

Comments on this entry are closed.